Saturday, May 25, 2013

Simple, Easy, BEAUTIFUL !!!

Here's a picture of the magnetic 'Beauty Board' I made to keep all of my favorite makeup organized and handy.





I started with a wood frame from a local craft store (I paid $7.99 for my frame). Painted it a soft aqua color to match my bathroom decor. Sanded it to give it a shabby chic look and lightly aged it with Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Walnut Stain. I finished the frame off with a coat of matt Mod Podge to seal it. Next I measured the frame opening and headed to my local home improvement store to purchase a piece of thin sheet metal. I found a piece that only cost me about $6.00 and I only had to cut it down a little. The metal was thin enough to cut with my Tim Holtz scissors so that was helpful. I decided I didn't really like the look of the galvanized metal, so before I attached the metal to my frame I bought a very small piece of brown fabric (just big enough to cover the metal sheet) and I again got out my Mod Podge and spread a thin layer over the surface of the metal and then laid my fabric down, making sure to smooth it out so I didn't have any bubbles. Once the fabric was dry I put one more coat of Mod Podge over the fabric. When that was dry I attached the metal piece to the back of the frame using some E-6000.

Now for the fun part.... going through my makeup and deciding what I used on a regular basic that I would like to be able to find when I have 2 minutes to put it on. Once I had my favorites picked out I used E-6000 and glued an magnet to each one. For my eyeliners and makeup brush I cut strips of magnet and attached those. I was wondering if I would be able to get the magnets off when it was time to replace something so I let one dry on my mascara and was able to pull the magnet off once the glue had dried so I know I'll be able to recycle the magnets when I need/want to add something else to my board.

I really love how organized everything stays now and the added bonus of eliminating clutter in my bathroom. The same idea could me used in a craft room, kitchen, kids bathroom....the possibilities are really endless.

I hope you are inspired to create a board for yourself that will make everyday life just a little bit easier and it won't hurt to make it pretty too.  ;-)

1 comment: